Philosophy of Care
Our physicians have the experience that comes from treating thousands of patients with head and neck and thyroid cancers. Patients who come here find an environment designed for maximum comfort and convenience.
- Patients and family communicate with a multidisciplinary team of physicians and support staff — frequently during a single visit, to minimize inconvenience and time away from work and other responsibilities.
- Doctors, staff and patients discuss the entire scope of treatment and beyond — from diagnosis to surgery, reconstruction, follow-up care and quality-of-life implications
- Our physicians listen to patients’ concerns carefully. All doctors involved in an individual case take the patient’s specific needs and desires into account when devising treatment and follow-up plans.
What We Treat
The Institute for Head, Neck & Thyroid Cancer team treats all stages of the following conditions:
Our doctors are skilled at establishing a correct diagnosis from the start — and equally accomplished at identifying any misdiagnoses that may have been made before a patient’s visit. This is critical to making sure the appropriate decisions are made at the outset of treatment.
- We never use a one-size-fits-all approach. We look at the specifics of each case to create a highly personalized treatment plan that results in the best outcome for each patient.
- The treatment team encompasses professionals from many specialty areas — radiology, head and neck surgery, maxillofacial surgery and prosthodontics. These specialists meet with the patient and family all at one time, so that everyone understands the full scope and timing of treatment and recovery.
- Our research center helps us to understand the impact of our treatment approach for each patient and to devise new treatments for future patients.
Quality of Life
Our goal goes beyond helping patients beat cancer. We’re committed to doing everything possible to help patients under our care live as fully and functionally as possible in the years after treatment.
- Reconstruction and restoration of the areas affected by cancer are part of the plan from the initial consultation. We recognize that patients care about how they look, how they feel and how they function as they go through life beyond treatment.
- The multidisciplinary treatment team includes specialists in otolaryngology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, microvascular reconstructive surgery, maxillofacial prosthodontics and oculoplastic surgery. We also provide expert nutritional counseling, pain management, and speech and swallowing therapy.
- Each member of the team understands everyone’s part in the treatment plan and the significance of each discipline involved. That’s a key element in our remarkable rate of successful outcomes, even in the most challenging cases.
- Our Patient Advocate is a comforting, trusted resource for patients and families alike. We also offer access to a network of former patients who are happy to share their experiences in dealing with the cancer diagnosis, treatment and life beyond cancer.
Our care doesn’t end once surgery is over and patients have returned to their lives. We provide lifetime annual follow-up examinations to continually monitor patients for any changes in their health so that they can be managed as they arise.
Learn more at http://www.headandneckcancerguide.org/.